In the Department of English and Creative Writing, students develop the skills and confidence needed to thrive in many different fields and professions. While at Guilford, students can explore a variety of interests related to the flexible programs offered in this department:
- Experience different time periods and perspectives by immersing yourself in literature from a variety of cultures, learning to read deeply with understanding and insight and imagine alternative views and values.
- Join the staff of The Guilfordian, our award-winning, nationally recognized campus newspaper.
- Help create our eclectic student literary magazine, The Greenleaf Review.
- Study writing and storytelling in Europe, South America, Asia, the Caribbean or Africa.
- Complete an internship in editing or publishing with support from faculty advisers.
As an English and Creative Writing major you’ll develop a crucial set of flexible skills that you can adapt and tailor to a variety of professions. Courses are taught by faculty members who are accomplished and award-winning authors, scholars and poets who offer expert guidance in critical thinking, empathy, communication and tolerance for ambiguity.
Once you complete your Guilford journey you’ll be prepared for a wide set of life paths. Graduates have pursued careers as a lawyer, Yale professor, National Public Radio national correspondent, peace worker in Haiti, Random House production manager, documentary filmmaker, assistant producer on the Charlie Rose show and novelist. Students have also pursued graduate studies at universities including Berkeley, Columbia, Harvard, City University/London, Brown, UNC Chapel Hill, Penn State and NYU.