Student Health Insurance FAQ
Student Health Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
Many Guilford College students have adequate health insurance, but for those who do not, an injury or illness could be costly and could affect a student’s ability to remain in school and progress toward a degree. Students without health insurance or even insurance that is considered "out of network" often do not have access to needed specialty care, hospitalization, lab work, or prescription medications.
*All full-time undergraduate traditional aged students as well as, international students, are required to have health insurance.
The UnitedHealthcare policy’s annual coverage is effective Aug. 6, 2021 – Aug. 5, 2022. Spring coverage is Jan. 1, 2022 — Aug. 5, 2022.
Annual rate — $2,042.00
Students who have health insurance coverage must waive out every year while enrolled at Guilford College.
The waiver period will begin in mid-June and run through Aug. 31 (5 p.m.). *The link is only operational during this time. Students will receive waiver instructions and details in June with their fall billing statements.
To waive this requirement, go to https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com and select “Guilford College” in the dropdown menu. On the following page you will scroll down and select “waiver”. When the waiver is submitted and approved between the active waiver period, the student’s account will be credited for the health insurance charge. You will need your current insurance card and your Guilford College ID number to complete the on-line waiver.
If a waiver is not submitted by Aug. 31 (5 p.m.) the charge on your student account will remain and cannot be removed.
Important: If you are covered by an existing comparable health insurance plan (i.e. through parent plans, family plans, or employer-sponsored plans, etc.) you are responsible for waiving out of the UHCSR plan by Aug. 31. You are also responsible for checking with your insurance to verify and understand coverage for student in the Greensboro area.
*Only N.C. Dept. of Health and Human Services Division of Medical Assistance (Medicaid) is accepted in North Carolina. All other states’ Medicaid (or equivalent) coverage is not accepted in N.C. so any student with out-of-state Medicaid must enroll in the college-offered UHCSR policy.
*International students are required to have either the Guilford offered policy or an equivalent USA based insurance policy.
If the health insurance waiver on UHC has been denied, and if you have personal family health insurance coverage, and if you are confident that your health insurance is adequate to cover you here in Greensboro for the period Aug. 6, 2021, to Aug. 5, 2022, please provide us a copy of your insurance document and copy of your insurance card. Your name must be on the insurance documents. Please be sure to affix your Guilford College student ID number and full name on all documents forwarded to Student Accounts at Studentaccounts@guilford.edu or call 336.316.2541.
All traditional students WITHOUT an existing health insurance policy:
- Do nothing, electing the UnitedHealthcare StudentResource plan offered through Guilford (no action required). Eligible full time students are automatically charged the premium. If a full time student does not waive out by the Aug. 31 deadline, then the student is automatically enrolled with this insurance.
- Purchase a comparable insurance plan of their choice and complete the waiver on-line by Aug. 31.
- During the waiver period, go to https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com and select “Guilford College” from the dropdown menu. On the following page, scroll down and select “enroll”. Complete this form and submit. UHCSR will send student an email explaining how to log on, create an account, and obtain a card. Please know that UHCSR does not send info by mail; communication is done via email to the student through their Guilford email account. Students must create their online account to manage their account/access their insurance card. They have a mobile application that students may access from their cell phones.
Yes. You can purchase health insurance from an outside agency/marketplace, however, the health insurance plan you purchase must be comparable to what Guilford offers; the Greensboro/North Carolina area must be considered "in-network." This must be done before the waiver period ends on Aug. 31.
Yes. All eligible students need to complete the online waiver to verify their insurance information yearly. If you do not complete the waiver during the waiver period, the charge will remain on the student’s account and the student will be automatically enrolled in the insurance plan. Visit https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com and find Guilford College in the dropdown menu.
When a student graduates or leaves Guilford they are no longer eligible to receive services from our near-campus health-care provider, Eagle Physicians. However, depending on the situation, students may be able continue health insurance coverage (if they are already signed up) with the Student Health Insurance plan through August 5, 2022. You may contact Student Health Services (336.316.2194) about your specific situation.
Questions? Contact UnitedHealthcare StudentResources Customer Service at 1.800.767.0700 or email@example.com.
Yes. For those who qualify, student and parent loans may be available. Please contact your Financial Aid counselor (336.316.2354) to see if you qualify.
- 80% of Preferred Allowance for Covered Medical Expenses
Preventive Care Visits (Routine exams, immunizations, well-woman care and more)
- 100% covered, no deductible
- $250 per person, per policy year
Out of pocket maximum (Includes the deductible and co-pays)
- $6,000 per insured person
- There is no overall maximum dollar limit on the policy
Prescription drugs filled at a UHCSR In-Network Pharmacy co-pays (Unlimited benefits):
- $15 Copay for Tier 1 (generic) for a 30 day supply
- $35 Copay for Tier 2 for a 30 day supply
- $60 Copay for Tier 3 for a 30 day supply
The policy also has a telemedicine service and a virtual Counseling Services program, both of which are free to insureds. *For complete information on the policy go to https://www.uhcsr.com.
Yes. Eligible students may choose to start coverage in the spring by notifying Student Accounts at 336.316.2541 or Studentaccounts@guilford.edu.
It may be possible to join the plan within a 30-day period following a life-qualifying event. Examples of qualifying events include loss of coverage due to age, divorce/marriage, and termination of employment. If you have a question about joining the plan outside of the open enrollment period due to a qualifying event, please contact Susan Smith at 336.316.2163.