Virginia Commonwealth University, Ph.D., 2001
Virginia Tech, B.A., 1992
Concentrations in English, Art History, and Communications
- Current research on building community through culture, colleagueship, and women as leaders in higher education.
- Gateways to Art, co-authored by Debra DeWitte and Ralph Larmann (Thames & Hudson, 2011, revised fourth edition, forthcoming October 2022)
- Creative Collaboration in Art Practice, Research, and Pedagogy, ed. By M. Kathryn Shields and Sunny Spillane (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018)
- “The Drama of Identity: Masking and Evolving Notions of Self in Contemporary
- Photography,” Masquerade: Essays on Tradition and Innovation Worldwide, ed. Deborah Bell
- (Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company, Inc., Publishers, 2014), pp. 196-214.
- “Carnival Mirrors: The Hermetic World of Music Video, 1980-2008” A History of Visual
- Culture: Western Civilization from the 18th to the 21st Century, Jane Kromm and Susan Benforado Bakewell, eds. (Berg Press: 2009), Chapter 25, pp. 346-355.
- Entries on “Eliot Porter,” “Masking,” and “Representation and Gender,” for Encyclopedia of
- Twentieth-Century Photography (Routledge, 2005).
- “Stories These Masks Could Tell: Literary References In the Photographs of Ralph Eugene
- Meatyard,” Mosaic: a journal for the Interdisciplinary study of Literature (Dec., 2004).
Reflection Seminar 3
Introduction to Visual Art
History of Photography
Arts of Africa, Asia, and the Americas
Portraiture and Self-Portraiture
Creative Work/Critical Play