Frequently Asked Questions

General Admission Questions

What are the Guilford College Admission deadlines?

Please visit the Apply page for all important Admission deadlines.

How does Guilford College make Admission decisions?

The goal of the Guilford admission process is to select applicants who will benefit most from a Guilford education and contribute significantly to the Guilford community. The admission committee thoroughly reviews each applicant to determine academic preparation as well as to evaluate other qualities such as leadership, creativity, and school and community involvement.

For first-year students, we consider your coursework and grades, with the expectation that you will have at least four college-preparatory courses each year and the hope that you have challenged yourself with advanced courses where available. To the extent that we can, we also consider the level of competition in your secondary school. We will also consider all information available to us, including test scores, academic record, extracurricular activities, your personal essay and school recommendations from a counselor and a teacher.

For transfer students, we consider your most recent academic performance as an indicator of your preparation and readiness for the Guilford experience. The admission committee thoroughly reviews each applicant to determine academic preparation as well as to evaluate other qualities such as leadership, creativity and school and community involvement. To the extent that we can, we also consider the level of rigor at your previous college(s) or university(ies). We will also consider all information available to us, including test scores, academic record, extracurricular activities, your personal essay and Dean of Students form.

How do I apply for readmission?

If you were enrolled at Guilford College and left for any reason other than to attend a Guilford-run or Guilford-affiliated study abroad program, you must apply for readmission. Review the Apply page for more information on readmission.

Are SAT or ACT scores required for admission to Guilford?

Guilford is a test-optional school, so we do not require SAT or ACT test scores for admission to the College. Students may submit scores from either exam, OR they may mark the test-optional box on the Common Application and submit an Academic Portfolio of two additional writing samples for review.

What types of scholarships and financial aid are available and how do I apply for these types of aid?

Guilford offers a variety of financial assistance resources for U.S. citizens and permanent residents as well as international students.

How do I submit my $250 Enrollment Deposit?

To reserve a spot in our new class, students may submit their $250 enrollment deposit to the Office of Admission through one of the following two options:

  1. Calling the Office of Admission at 800.992.7759 and paying over the phone by credit or debit card
  2. Mailing a check or money order made payable to Guilford College, along with the candidate reply card found the the admission packet to:
Guilford College
office of admission
5800 W. Friendly Ave.
Greensboro, NC 27410


Can I have a car on campus?

Yes, students may bring a car to Guilford and pay an annual parking fee. Many students choose to carpool, ride their bike or use the city bus to navigate around Greensboro. Within walking distance to campus, you will find a grocery store, coffee shops, restaurants, pharmacies, banks and great walking/biking trails.

Who is my admission counselor?

Admission Counselors work with students in territories based on school state.

Meet Your Admissions Counselor

Is Guilford wireless?

Yes, Guilford's campus is fully wireless. Laptops may be checked out of the library for daily use.

For International Students

Who on campus can help me with questions and concerns?

Please contact the Admission Office (800.992.7759) for assistance during the application process and up through the time you arrive on campus.

Once you arrive on campus, services are available to international students through the International Student Office. Here you can find advice on institutional rules, government regulations, academic resources and opportunities offered by both the college and the larger Greensboro community. Contact Daniel Diaz, Director of Study Abroad and International Student Advisor.

How do I apply for a student (F-1) visa to come to the United States?

The procedure is slightly different from one U.S. consulate to another, so read the information for the particular consulate you plan to visit. See also Obtaining a Visa for detailed information.

What are the student health medical requirements for Guilford?

International students planning to attend Guilford College must meet the following medical requirements:

  • 3 DPT shots – 1Tdap within the last 10 years
  • 2 MMR shots (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
  • 3 Hepatitis B shots
  • A current TB Skin Test
  • A physical examination
The medical form and all immunization documentation should be completed in English. Immunization requirements should be completed upon entering the semester. All students, international and domestic, are required by law to have health insurance.


When may I arrive?

The U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad can process your visa up to 90 days before the start date of your academic program. You may enter the country as early as 30 days prior to the program start date that is noted in item #5 on your I-20. You will not be expected to arrive on campus, however, until the arrival date on your I-20.

How should I arrive?

Students should plan to arrive through Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO). Guilford staff will pick you up at the airport.

What should I do when I arrive at Guilford College?

In accordance with immigration regulations, you must provide us with copies of your immigration documents upon arrival. These regulations apply to students from outside the United States, as well as to students transferring to Guilford College from another U.S. school. Questions about class registration, student ID cards and getting settled on campus will be answered during orientation, which is mandatory for all new and transfer students.

Immigration regulations require the International Office to maintain records on all international students attending the College. Therefore, you must maintain regular contact with the international student adviser and update your file when changes are made, such as renewal of a passport, visa, time and point of reentry, change of major or a change of address.

Your passport must be kept valid at all times. It is the student’s responsibility to know when the passport will expire and to contact their country’s nearest Consulate or Embassy for renewal. You can search for those through the Consulates/Embassies website.

When can I move into campus housing?

You may move in to campus housing on the first day of orientation, which usually coincides with the start date of your I-20.

Is there public transportation available in Greensboro, NC?

The public transportation system in Greensboro is operated by the Greensboro Transit Authority. Greensboro Transit Authority has been providing quality public transportation services to Greensboro residents and visitors. GTA operates bus service Monday through Saturday along 15 routes and seven Sunday routes.

What do I do if I want a family member to visit me?

If you have a spouse or children, the Office of Admission will assist you in bringing your spouse and children to the United States with you. The process includes requesting completion of form I-20, along with financial documentation. The process is very similar to when you obtained your visa, since your family will be required to apply for the F-2 from the U.S. Embassy in your home country. Any other family member can visit you by obtaining a visitor’s visa to come to the U.S.

Do I have to be enrolled to stay in the United States? What about during the summer?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires all international students in F-1 status to maintain full-time enrollment status throughout their program of study. Unless it is your first semester, you do not have to be enrolled in the summer. Summer is considered your official “vacation time” from school, so you may remain in the United States and not be enrolled.

Can I work while in the United States

As an F-1, you are allowed to work 20 hours a week on campus during fall and spring semesters and full time during the summer. If you want to work off campus, you will have to apply for permission and F-1s may not work off campus during the first nine months of program study.

May I transfer to another college or university?

Guilford College policy states that you are required to attend for one full semester if you enter the United States on an I-20 from Guilford College. Guilford College will not release a student to another college or university until he/she completes one semester of attendance.

Can I stay on campus during vacations and school breaks?

Residence halls are closed to all students during the semester break between December and January. If you are without resources or a place to stay during these times, please contact the International Student Adviser.

After completing your first academic year (or two consecutive semesters), you are eligible to take vacation breaks while remaining in the United States. When temporarily leaving the United States, you must have your I-20 endorsed by the International Student Adviser.

Guilford also offers an Extended Family Program to all international students to learn first-hand about American customs, transitions and social structures of the American home and family life. All volunteers are from the Guilford community.

Can I leave the U.S. during vacations and school breaks?

When leaving the U.S., the student must get the International Student Adviser’s signature on the document to reenter. The I-20 also contains very important information on rules and regulations. By signing the I-20, students agree to comply with all regulations and understand the consequence of violations.

The visa stamped in the student’s passport at the U.S. Consulate gives the student permission to enter for a specific purpose and period of time. Since the stamp is important only for entry and reentry into the United States, a student need not worry if it expires while they are in the U.S., but they must get a new visa to reenter if they leave the U.S. and the existing data has expired.

What support systems does Guilford College have in place for international students?

We have a Mentor Program, which is designed to help all incoming international students, whether they require an F-1 Vise or hold an American passport, adjust easily to life both on and off campus. All mentors have experience abroad and most are students who recently studied abroad.

Guilford also offers an English Language adaption class, which will focus on developing conversational skills.

We have an international advisor and an international education specialist who assist in the Visa process and general adjustment to the College.

Guilford has an optional Extended Family Program which provides an opportunity for our international students to learn first-hand about American customs, transitions and social structures of the American home and family life. All volunteers are from the Guilford community.

There are several student clubs, including Asian Culture Club, International Club, Muslim Student Association, Hispanos Unidos de Guilford (HUGS), Blacks Unifying Society (BUS) and Hillel.