The Learning Commons (LC) helps students develop strategies for more effective and efficient learning across the curriculum and throughout their lives. The LC provides academic support for all students, including Early College, CCE, traditional, honors, under-prepared, students with special needs, students on academic probation and those doing creative writing, advanced course work or senior theses.
About our Services
Guilford is a writing-intensive place. Our writing program is revision-driven (often you must submit several drafts before the final, graded one) and utilizes peer-editing and response groups. The LC offers individualized professional tutoring in writing and study skills as well as work with trained student writing partners. Peer tutors offer one-with-one and drop-in assistance for specific courses.
The Learning Commons offers a variety of services:
- Professional tutors who assist with both academic and creative writing, study skills, reading, time management, test taking & quantitative skills;
- Peer tutors who assist with course-specific needs;
- Learning Strategies classes each fall and spring;
- a variety of class and group presentations such as writing process and time management;
- and a campus reading series featuring creative writers.
The Learning Commons also provides a variety of resources for students:
- Space to study, write, tutor and be tutored;
- books, handouts and other valuable resources, such as semester-at-a-glance calendars and blank weekly schedules.