All members of the campus community who are authorized to purchase goods and services on behalf of the College are expected to make purchases that are in the best interest of the College, and to follow established protocols in the procurement of goods and services. The College will assume no liability for the payment of purchases which were not made through approved purchasing procedures.
Purpose/Reason for Policy:
College purchasing transactions are intended to support the educational and research objectives of the College in delivering excellent service to our students and campus community. This policy is designed to facilitate efficiency in purchasing transactions by fostering greater understanding of generally accepted protocols across campus in the area of procurement of goods and services, and to ensure that purchases are made in the best interests of Guilford College and in compliance with external requirements.
All members of the Guilford College community who procure goods and services for the College.
Every expenditure of the College must be prudent and directly benefit Guilford College. The College will assume no liability for the payment of purchases which were not made through approved purchasing procedures. The Vice President for Administration and Finance is authorized to reject payment for any purchase not properly authorized. Purchases or contracts in excess of $2,500 require at least two quotes; those over $5,000 require three quotes.
- College Purchase Card: Cardholders are responsible for maintaining proper itemized receipts and supporting documentation, reconciling cardholder statements, and following proper credit card security measures. Cardholders are also responsible for reviewing all transactions weekly and allocating the expenses to the appropriate General Ledger.
- Contracts: The President’s Office and/or the vice president for Administration and Finance must approve all College contracts. Contracts of $5,000 or more, or those requiring more than a one year commitment, must be approved in advance by the Vice President for Administration and Finance. All other contracts must also be reviewed and approved by the Administration and Finance Office. Contracts should be submitted for approval by completing a Requisition Form which can be found here.
- Requests for contractor services: Must be submitted on a Requisition Form. All requests for consultancy, professional and independent contractor services will be subject to review by Human Resources and approval from the Administration and Finance Office, and the President.
- Hiring requests: All requests to fill new or existing positions must be approved by the President. Requests should be submitted using the on-line process in PeopleAdmin. The request will go first to the appropriate divisional Vice President for review before seeking presidential authorization.
- Non-salary budget expenditures: All requests for non-salary expenditures over $1,000 must be approved by the relevant division’s Vice President using the Requisition Form which can be downloaded here.
- Catering: Catering/meals exceeding $100 require Vice Presidential approval before booking. Each Vice President will determine the process to be utilized to make these requests prior to talking with food service or contacting a restaurant for delivery. P-card receipts should obtain the VP’s approval.
- Purchases on government grants and contracts: Guilford College receives federal and state grants and contracts for academic research. In carrying out its sponsored projects, the college complies with the terms of the agreement. These terms may be stated in the sponsored project agreement or in statutes, regulations, and policy statements.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- All members of the Guilford College Community who purchase goods and services are expected to comply with this policy.
- The director of Purchasing is responsible for day to day administration of this policy.
- The director of Information Technology and Services is responsible for approving all requests for computer hardware/software.
- The Facilities Department must approve all requests involving building modifications/ installations.
- The Vice President for Administration and Finance is authorized to reject payment for any purchase not properly authorized.
- The President authorizes filling new or replacement positions.
- The Budget Committee reviews capital budget requests and recommends the capital budget to the President.
Failure to comply with this policy may result in the termination of P-Card privileges or removal of budget authority. Willful, egregious and/or repeated violations of this policy may be cause for corrective action in accordance with established procedures for staff and faculty.
Procedures: See Purchasing Guidelines
Approval Authority: The President of Guilford College
Responsible Office: Len Sippel, Vice President for Administration and Finance, Bauman 105B, 336.316.2841, firstname.lastname@example.org
Revision History: Created from a memorandum entitled “Fiscal Year 2018-19 Budget Control & Economizing”
sent by Administration and Finance on 11/14/2018