University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill, Ph.D., English, 1991
Yale University Divinity School, M.A.R., 1981
Guilford College, A.B., Religious Studies, 1979
Areas of Interest
Nineteenth-century British literature
Woodworking & material culture
- “How to Teach About Nature While We Destroy It.” The Chronicle Review. [The Chronicle of Higher Education.] 27 January 2017. B4-B5.
- Quakers and Literature. Editor and writer of introduction. Vol. 3 of Quakers in the Disciplines series. [Philadelphia]: Friends Association for Higher Education, 2016.
- “John Keats and Ethical Practice.” Quaker Perspectives in Higher Education, Friends Association for Higher Education (2014).
- “‘Permanently Valuable’: Victorian Christian Literary Annuals and the Commodification of Religion.” Victorians Institute Journal (2010).
- Divining Desire: Tennyson and the Poetics of Transcendence, Ashgate (2000).
- "Tennyson, D.W. Griffith, and Victorian Pneumatography." Victorians Institute Journal (1997).
British Romantic Literature
American Nature Writing
Literature and Ethics
Woodworking and Furniture History (January term)
Introduction to Literary Studies
British Literature II