Accounting Department

Post-Baccalaureate Accounting


Apply Visit Request Info

The Post-Baccalaureate program in Accounting provides a coherent, individualized course of study for students who already have a bachelor’s degree and wish to complete the coursework necessary to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Examination. Our expert faculty provide one-on-one advising, based on a student’s previous education, to select additional courses that best prepare the student for the CPA exam. To sit for the CPA exam in North Carolina you must have:

  • a bachelor’s degree (any major)
  • complete at least 30 semester hours of accounting, which may include three semester hours of business law

Additional requirements for the CPA licensure include:

  • passing the exam
  • completing a minimum of 150 semester hours of college credit
  • passing an ethics exam or taking an eight hour Continuing Professional Education (CPE) course in ethics
  • completing either one year of supervised work experience under a CPA or four years of work experience in accounting

Your bachelor’s degree does not need to be in accounting; any major is sufficient. There are ten areas required in the 150-hour requirement: communications, computer technology, economics, ethics, finance, humanities and social science, international environment, law, management and statistics.

Financial aid is available to students in the post-baccalaureate accounting program in the form of federal student loans. The first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Post-Baccalaureate Accounting requirements and course descriptions are available in the online version of the Guilford College Catalog. Use the keyboard shortcuts Control F for PC or Command F for Mac to search the document for Center for Continuing Education.

How to Apply

  • Submit the Guilford College application for admission.
  • Provide an official college transcript from the college where you received your bachelor's degree. We recommend you also provide transcripts from any other school where you completed accounting courses or a business law course.