Trustee Carole Bruce, chair of the Presidential Search Committee, updated faculty and staff on the search process at the College’s Opening Community Meeting on Aug. 20.
President Kent Chabotar, who has guided Guilford since 2002, will step down June 30.
In a 45-minute presentation that included a question and answer period, Carole:
- Shared the Board of Trustees’ charge to the committee, which is to recommend to the trustees, not later than Jan. 31, an unranked list of at least three individuals who, in the committee’s judgment, are well qualified to lead the College as its next president. Carole commented that the board makes the final decision on the next president.
- Shared a summary of the faculty statement delivered to trustees in May, and commented that trustees concur with a number of points in the statement.
- Reported that the trustees are in the process of choosing a search firm to assist the College in the search process.
- Commented that the committee, in consultation with the search firm, will develop a leadership statement of the qualities of the next president that will be adopted by trustees.
- Requested that faculty and staff submit nominations of potential candidates, with the understanding that committee action is confidential.
The search committee met for the first time as a group July 29. In the meeting the committee:
- Participated in introductions of all committee members.
- Reviewed the Board of Trustees’ charge to the committee.
- Discussed a proposed general timeline for the search process.
- Heard comments at the outset of the meeting from retiring President Kent Chabotar, who was invited to share his perspective on the current priorities of the College.
In addition to the chair, search committee members are: Daryle Bost ’93, trustee; Vic Cochran ’71, trustee; Ed Winslow, trustee, board chair-elect; Kathy Coe, trustee emerita; Jim Hood ’79, professor of English; Barbara Lawrence, assistant professor of justice and policy studies; Kami Rowan, associate professor of music; Sandy Pearman ’80, director of enrollment information (Admission & Financial Aid); Suzanne Ingram, assistant director of communications and marketing –outreach (Advancement); Jon Varnell, vice president for administration; Lyes Benarbane ’14; Jessica Hilliard ’15, treasurer, CCE Student Government Association; Bradley Anderson ’77, president-elect, Alumni Association; Paul Kress ’82, Board of Visitors; Joyce Eaton, liaison.