Ed Winslow Named Board of Trustees Chair

Posted: August 14, 2014

Ed Winslow, a Greensboro attorney with strong family ties to Guilford College, has been appointed chair of the Board of Trustees. His first board meeting as chair will be in October.

A Quaker and a native of Tarboro, Ed joined Guilford’s Board of Visitors in 2003 and the Board of Trustees in 2004. He served as chair-elect during the past academic year.

“This is an exciting time for Guilford College,” Ed said, “and I am talking about our new president. Jane Fernandes is an inspiring leader, and she will be a dynamite president. She embodies the values that moved Guilford’s Quaker founders to create the College 175 years ago, and she is a champion for the liberal arts. The right college, the right leader, the right time. Let’s go.”

Ed is managing partner of Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, a North Carolina law firm with offices in Greensboro, Raleigh and Wilmington, leading 90 attorneys in a broad range of business practices including banking, privacy, intellectual property, real estate and litigation of all types. The firm is known for solving complex, unusual, and important issues on behalf of their clients.

He has written extensively about North Carolina banking, commercial and tax laws and published a treatise on commercial law. His blog, MidLaw and Divers Items, primarily focuses on law practice management.

Among his forebears with connections to the College are his great-great-grandmother Anna Henley, his great-great-grandfather Nereus Mendenhall, his great-grandfather J. Franklin Davis and his grandmother Margaret Davis Winslow. Anna Henley was a member of New Garden Boarding School’s first class during its first year, the 1837-38 academic year. Nereus served five separate stints as principal teacher at New Garden between 1839 and 1867, and he served as superintendent, in addition to his teaching duties, 1849-50.

J. Franklin attended New Garden 1861-71 and taught there 1880-81. After the institution became Guilford College in 1888, he became one of its first faculty members. He served as professor of Greek, German and biblical literature 1888-1931 and was a professor emeritus 1931-33. Portraits of Nereus and J. Franklin hang in Hege Library. Margaret graduated from Guilford in 1909 and published a memoir, A Gift from Grandmother, in 1958 that centers on the College and its people.

Ed served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army from 1969-71. He was awarded a Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal and a special award of the Vietnamese Army.

An alumnus of Westtown School, a Quaker college preparatory school in West Chester, Pa., he attended the Université de Montpellier in France 1966-67 and received his bachelor’s degree from Davidson College in 1968. He graduated first in his class from the University of North Carolina School of Law in 1974.

He has served on numerous civic and professional boards, including the United Arts Council, Greensboro Library Foundation, Hospice, Greensboro Partnership, North Carolina Friends Historical Society, Canterbury School, Westtown School, N.C. Bar Association and the North American Council of Geneva Group International.

He and his wife, Sally Winslow, have two children, Margaret and Ted.

Last Updated: September 5, 2014