The Information Technology & Services Department is substantially upgrading the campus data network.
A large portion of the network is being switched from the current one-gigabit equipment, some of which was installed in 2006, to 10-gigabit equipment. The main rollout will be on the evening of May 30.
This is a significant advance for the College with a number of benefits:
- The new equipment is faster – 10x faster.
- The equipment is more modern. Much of the current network gear has reached its end of useful life, and is difficult as well as expensive to maintain.
- The new system will be more reliable. Where possible on the main (core, datacenter) equipment, we’ve built in redundancies and the ability to fail-over, in the event of equipment failure.
- The new system will be more flexible. It is designed with the ability to easily scale out as expansion is required.
- Finally, and most importantly, the new system sets a firm foundation for further infrastructure improvements.
Please feel free to contact IT&S via the Solutions Center at x2020.