Guilford Leadership Academy
The Guilford Leadership Academy is a leadership development program for a select group of high school juniors and seniors from the Piedmont Triad. The program provides students with opportunities to develop and practice leadership abilities through experiential activities, structured reflection, and group discussion. Participants are given the opportunity to build a foundation of skills and knowledge by evaluating concepts of leadership, developing personal strengths, clarifying personal beliefs, and creating strategies to be successful in leadership roles in high school, college and beyond.
Applications for the program are due by February 20th. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. You may submit an online application by filling out the registration form or by mailing a completed paper application to:
Career Development Center – G.L.A.
5800 W. Friendly Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27410
Program Details and Benefits
Each week participants will be guided through varying activities centered on a certain topic. The topics range from leadership and communication styles to risk-taking, confidence-building and leading organizations. Participants in the Guilford Leadership Academy will have an opportunity to learn from outstanding Guilford College staff members with backgrounds in leadership development, college admissions and career preparedness, while also networking with other emerging leaders in their cohort.
The first meeting will be an over-night retreat on the campus of Guilford College under the supervision of the Guilford Leadership Academy staff.
The Guilford Leadership Academy will:
- introduce students to leadership concepts and theories.
- help students develop leadership and interpersonal skills as well as personal mission statements and goals.
- help students develop self-knowledge through identifying personal strengths and clarifying personal values.
- help students develop principles of ethics and stewardship, especially in regards to the connection between their personal beliefs and call to leadership.
- help students develop an increased awareness and appreciation for perspectives, experiences, and values different from their own.
- help students develop a plan for active participation in their educational community.
- help students effectively identify and utilize surrounding resources.
What would participation in the Guilford Leadership Academy look like on your résumé?
- Actively participated in 9-week leadership development program.
- Practiced critical thinking and problem solving strategies.
- Developed communication skills, understanding of group dynamics, and increased awareness of other populations.
- Learned about campus resources and programs.
- Created a plan for active involvement in campus and community.
The Guilford Leadership Academy is on Tuesdays from 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. on the campus of Guilford College. The program begins on February 26th, 2013 and concludes on May 7th, 2013 and will meet every week except for Tuesday, March 19th. The over-night retreat will begin at 5 p.m. on Friday March 1st and end by 1 p.m. on Saturday March 2nd.
If you have questions related to the program, contact Erin Fox at email@example.com. For registration questions, call the Guilford College Career Development Center at (336) 316-2187.
The participation fee for the Guilford Leadership Academy is $325. This covers the costs of the over-night retreat (including meals), a Guilford Leadership Academy t-shirt, and other program materials including a certificate of completion. Please make checks payable to Guilford College.
To register for the Guilford Leadership Academy, fill out the registration form or contact the Guilford College Career Development Center at (336) 316-2187.