E-Billing and Student Refunds
Student E-Billing Process
Guilford College student billing has gone green! Beginning with the fall 2013 student billing, we are no longer mailing paper invoices! In partnership with Higher One we now bill Guilford students electronically through a secure internet portal:
- Electronic statements are provided through our internet portal, and up-to-date balances are available 24/7 at this secure site.
- Students and parents can process electronic payments for all enrollment-related charges.
- Our online portal also allows families needing deferred payment options to quickly set up monthly payment plans.
The College provides students the convenience of using credit or debit cards to pay tuition, fees, and other enrollment-related costs. However, the fees paid to financial institutions for accepting credit and debit card payments have cost Guilford College about $150,000 annually. We understand why families might choose such payment methods, but we believe these funds are best spent supporting our educational mission. The changes summarized below are necessary to continue accepting credit and debit card payments and have been implemented effective July 1, 2013.
- Payments of tuition, fees, room and board, and other enrollment-related charges made with VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express cards will be assessed a non-refundable 2.75% convenience fee.
- Families wishing to avoid convenience fee charges are encouraged to use on-line checks, ACH payments, wire transfers, personal checks, or other available payment options.
- Credit or debit card payments for tuition, fees, room and board, and other enrollment-related charges are now only accepted through our online payment portal. Credit or debit card payments cannot be accepted over the telephone.
- The only forms of payment accepted in the Student Financial Services (SFS) office for paying tuition and other enrollment-related charges are cash, check or money order. Online access is provided to SFS visitors wishing to make payments through our internet payment portal.
- Online payment can now also be made using My Payment Plan (MPP), our interest free monthly payment plan with an enrollment fee of $35.
Good stewardship compelled Guilford College to discontinue our past practice of paying credit card service fees for our students, and to use those funds to further the mission of the College. Many institutions have previously implemented this change, and numerous others are developing similar plans. Our decision to enhance the billing, payment, and refund processes was made with an acute awareness of the very positive impact it will have on our students and their families.
Click here for more information about the student billing process at Guilford College.
Enhanced Student Refund Process
In connection with our partnership with Higher One, we have also enhanced our student refund process. New refund options result in more timely refunds, and Guilford students are no longer required to pick up their refund checks at New Garden Hall.
- All Guilford College students receive a MasterCard from Higher One identified as the “MyOne” debit card. This card should not be discarded or misplaced as it must be used by each student to select a refund payment option.
- These cards are mailed to the official permanent address for each student recorded on the Banner Web site of the College. Thus, students should notify the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org of any permanent address changes.
- Each student’s “MyOne” card is mailed in a bright green envelope similar to the image shown below. Students use the number on their card to login at www.MyOneMoney.com to make their refund option selections.
Our enhanced student refund process currently provides the three options explained below.
- HigherOne Checking Account - Students needing banking services and desiring the fastest possible refund may decide to select a full service internet checking account with Higher One. If this option is selected, any refunds due the student will be electronically deposited into the account the same business day that Guilford College transmits the refund record to Higher One. Under this option, the MasterCard received in the mail WILL BE ACTIVATED as the debit and ATM card for use in accessing any balances in the checking account. The card may then be used as a typical debit card for making purchases. If requested by the student, checks will also be provided for issuing payments from this account. A Higher One ATM is now located on campus for use in accessing cash from such accounts.
- ACH Deposits to Existing Accounts - If this option is selected, any refunds due will be electronically deposited into the bank account identified by the student within 2 to 3 business days of Guilford transmitting the refund record to Higher One. Under this option, the MasterCard received in the mail WILL NOT be activated for use.
- Paper Checks - If this option is selected, any refunds due will result in a paper check being mailed to the student within 5 to 7 days of Guilford transmitting the refund record to Higher One. Under this option, the MasterCard received in the mail WILL NOT be activated for use.