Gilbert Awards Granted to Eight English Majors
Eight English majors at Guilford College have been granted Dorothy Lloyd Gilbert Awards for 2011-12. The awards program, funded by Jeanne Campbell ’48 and named in honor of longtime English faculty member Dorothy Lloyd Gilbert, are given to rising seniors and recent graduates to help English majors transition from college to the professional world.
Award winners receive financial assistance to pursue post-graduate study, internships, study or teaching opportunities abroad, or other independent research or creative projects. The competitive awards are granted in two areas: rising senior summer projects, and graduating senior transitional projects.
This year’s graduating senior winners are:
• Christina Crocker ’11 (Lexington, Ky.)
• Ivy Lamb ’11 (Waxhaw, N.C.)
• Meredith Luby ’11 (Springfield, Va.)
• Chelsea Rivas ’11 (Longwood, Fla.)
• Adam Romney ’11 (Socorro, N.M.)
The rising seniors earning Gilbert Awards are:
• Chelsea Burris ’12 (Asheville, N.C.)
• Elizabeth Farquhar ’12 (Fort Collins, Colo.)
• and Yezmin Villarreal ’12 (Gilbert, Ariz.)