Christa Wellhausen, Department of Theatre Studies
The dance minor is intended for students of any major who wish to discover or continue the development of their creative, technical and performance skills in the fine art of dance. It serves especially well as a companion to majors in the departments of theatre studies, art, sport studies and psychology. The minor seeks to reveal and reintegrate the experiences of mind, body and spirit and to explore the use of art in creating new contexts in which to understand and create personal meaning in life.
Emphases in the minor include a discovery of the student’s own expressive potential through the study of established physical dance techniques and the creation of thoughtful works, participation in numerous performances and developing an understanding of dance within contemporary society.
The minor requires a minimum of 16 credit hours (six courses).
- THEA 100/SPST 114 The Wonder of Dance – 4 credits
- THEA 101/SPST 112 Modern Dance I – 2 credits
- THEA 103/SPST 110 Beginning Ballet – 2 credits
- THEA 104/SPST 111 Jazz Dance – 2 credits
- THEA 201/SPST 113 Modern Dance II – 2 credits
- THEA 204/ SPST 115 Choreography – 4 credits
Total credit hours required for dance minor – 16 credits