Project Community is a student-run (volunteer and Work-Study) community service organization that provides Guilford students with a chance to engage in meaningful service opportunities (on-campus and off-campus) through various civic engagement projects and volunteer opportunities.
To implement this goal, Project Community:
- Works very closely with the Bonner Center for Community Service and Learning to operate an office that directly links individual students, organizations, faculty, and staff with community service opportunities on campus, in Guilford County, and in surrounding counties.
- Keeps the Guilford community informed about involvement opportunities through various marketing strategies, publicity, and promotion techniques.
- Supports community outreach programs, special events, and programming that is engaged in service or issues of social change, anti-racism, and cultural understanding.
- Consults with Guilford students to develop and nurture projects and ideas that educate and encourage individuals to promote a socially, economically, and politically equitable and just community.
- Assists student leaders (project coordinators) of community outreach projects/sites with administrative tasks, logistics, and publicity of special events, transportation, moral support, and securing volunteers.
Project Comunity can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Quaker Cupboard, located in the Bonner House, is Guilford College’s campus food pantry which aims to address food insecurity issues* on campus and in the community.
Run under the umbrella of Guilford College’s Food Justice Club, the QC receives donations from area grocery stores, direct community donations and produce grown in Guilford College garden plots. With the understanding that Guilford College’s student and staff populations are diverse, it serves a variety of needs: a snack between classes, a couple of bags of groceries to make a budget stretch, as well as personal hygiene items.
The QC stocks both perishable and nonperishable groceries, hygiene products (soap, razor, feminine hygiene care) and safer-sex items (condoms/lubricant) for anyone who can use them, free of charge.
Students, faculty/staff and community members are welcome to make use of the Quaker Cupboard during during Bonner House hours (typically 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and during extended hours on Tuesdays to better serve students with evening classes. The QC also welcomes appointments which can be made by contacting email@example.com or via the QC’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/quakercupboard. Please contact these resources, also, if you would like to make a donation to this vital campus resource.
The Quaker Cupboard’s mission is “for no one in the Guilford College family to go without.”
*The National Campaign Against Student Hunger and Homelessness summarizes that food insecurity is “the lack of reliable access to sufficient quantities of affordable, nutritious food.” It is common on college campuses and universities with the potential of undermining the success of untold thousands of students.
Students participate in evening activities and conversation with occupants of a temporary shelter for homeless men with health problems.
Click here to learn more.