- Editor, Quakers and Literature, essay collection
- 19th-century British literature
- American nature writing
Notable Work—Scholarly Publications
- Divining Desire: Tennyson and the Poetics of Transcendence, Ashgate (2000).
- “John Keats and Ethical Practice.” Quaker Perspectives in Higher Education, Friends Association for Higher Education (2014).
- “‘Permanently Valuable’: Victorian Christian Literary Annuals and the Commodification of Religion.” Victorians Institute Journal (2010).
- "Tennyson, D.W. Griffith, and Victorian Pneumatography." Victorians Institute Journal (1997).
Notable Work—Scholarly Presentations
- “The Terror Within: William Carleton, Folk Gothic, and Agrarian Political Violence.” Victorians Institute Conference, Charlotte, NC (2014).
- “Grounding the Sacred: The Rhetoric of Place in American Nature Writing.” Empowerment and the Sacred Conference, University of Leeds, Leeds, England (2011).
- “Wild Landscapes: Exploring Nature and Vocation through Reading, Photography, and Experiential Learning.” With Maia Dery. Friends Association for Higher Education conference (2007).
- “Reading Wilderness: Teaching Environmental Responsibility and Vocation through Experiential Learning.” Friends Association for Higher Education conference (2006).
- Introduction to Literary Studies
- British Literature II
- Victorian Literature
- British Romantic Literature
- Literature and Ethics
- American Nature Writing
- Animal Stories of the Cape Fear River Basin
- Reading Wilderness
- Woodworking and Furniture History (January term)
Campus and Community Involvement
- Consultant, Cape Fear River Basin Studies program, Guilford College
- Board member, Haw River Assembly
- Former board member and clerk, New Garden Friends School
- Former Executive Committee member, Friends Association for Higher Education