Postdoctoral research associate and Assistant Research Chemist, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego, 1988-1994
- Using computer modeling and visualization to explore questions such as:
- How does energy flow from the surroundings into chemical reactants to drive a chemical reaction?
- What is the role of water molecules in mediating the interactions between antibodies and the specific molecules they recognize?
- Active engagement methods, particularly guided inquiry, in chemical education.
- Chem 111: Chemical Principles I
- Chem 331: Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- Chem 332: Physical Chemistry: Quantum Mechanics and Spectroscopy
- Chem 336 and 345: Integrated Laboratory
- Chem 342: Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
- Chem 400: Chemistry Seminar
- CMIT 140: Introduction to Computer Programming
- IDS 419: Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life
Campus and Community Involvement
- “Conformational memories using variable bond angles,” Robert M. Whitnell, Dow P. Hurst, Patricia H. Reggio, and Frank Guarnieri, J. Comp. Chem. 29, 741 (2008).
- Co-Principal Investigator with Sally S. Hunnicutt and Alexander Grushow, National Science Foundation Award 1044624, “POGIL-PCL and the Development and Implementation of Guided Inquiry Experiments for Physical Chemistry” (2011-2014).