Current Research Interests
- A book project currently entitled “Renaissance Culture Wars: The Humanist Search for Meaning in Fifteenth-Century Italy” that examines how humanists analyzed appearances through direct observation, philosophical inquiry, and the use of metaphor.
- Medieval Civilization: Chivalry and Crusades
- The Renaissance in Florence and beyond
- Reformation: Luther to Fox
- Cultural History of Ancient Greece from Homer to Socrates
- The Elizabethan Age
- Europe 800-present
- History Research Seminar
Campus and Community Involvement
- Chair, Humanities Division
- Chair, Nominating Committee
- Living Well in Renaissance Italy: The Morality of Humanism and the Irony of Leon Battista Alberti. (Tempe: ACMRS, 2012).
- The Poet’s Wisdom: The Humanists, the Church and The Formation of Philosophy in the Early Renaissance (Leiden: Brill, 2006).
- Fellow, National Humanities Center, Durham, North Carolina, 2007-8.